Lost and Found in Our Attic
New Exhibit – Educaton Gallery
The Erie Canal Museum’s home is the structure we know as the Syracuse Weighlock Building. Between 1850, when it opened, and 1882, when tolls were no longer collected on boat cargoes, the building’s primary function was to determine the loaded weight of boats.
From 1883 to the opening of the Museum in 1962, the Weighlock served as a government office building and much material was sent to storage in the attic. Over the past 50 years the attic became the resting place for parts of old exhibits and property abandoned on our doorstep by well intended donors. We have recently begun to sort through some items stashed in the far corners of our attic and we are pleased to share some of the interesting items we have found. The exhibit runs from April 1st to April 29.