Presented by the Erie Canal Museum
Completely online! No charge to participate!
Ribbons for 1st place, 2nd place, and 3rd place entries in each category.
Entries will be featured in a digital exhibit on our website beginning August 28, 2020.
Celebrate the Erie Canal and the vessels that travel it through this fun, online contest!
Build your very own Canal boat out of construction toys such as LEGO, Mega Bloks, Duplo, or buildable toys. Let your creativity shine by designing and building a miniature model packet, line, scow, tug, steam barge, or other Canal vessel from the Erie Canal of the past or present.
Complete the registration form below no later than midnight on Sunday, July 19, 2020. If you are unable to fill out the form below, you may click here for a PDF version. Once we receive your registration, you will receive a digital copy of A Canalboat Primer and your Builder’s Form. Your Builder’s Form must be returned to us with your submission by 4:30PM on Friday, August 7, 2020.
Find inspiration and examples by visiting eriecanalmuseum.org/brick-a-boat/inspiration.
Boat Building Rules and Guidelines
Click here for a PDF of the Rules and Guidelines
- All boats must be original designs. Pre-made boat sets not allowed, though component pieces of such sets may be used to create a new and original design.
- Boats must be made with construction toys such as LEGO, Mega Bloks, or similar toys.
- Entries must include photos showing the boat’s side, front, and top. Up to five photos per entry may be submitted. You may also send images that you used as inspiration that might be included in the exhibit.
- A completed Builder’s Form must be included with each submission. We will email you the Builder’s Form after you register.
- The decision and interpretation of the Boat Building Rules and Guidelines are at the discretion of the Erie Canal Museum. Our decisions and interpretations are final.
- Creations will be judged in the following categories: Family/Group, Individual: Age 7 & under, Individual: Ages 8-15 , and Individual: Age 16 & up.
- Entries will be based on overall appeal, originality, creativity and difficulty.
Thanks to our promotional partners!